Sunday, April 09, 2006

Nutrition - Daily intake ?

My legs feel great even after 1 1/2 hours on the eliptical trainer with the shins taped up. I really miss just going out in any weather and just running.
I am reading the Performance Nutrition by Matt Fitzgerald. What's interesting is that it starts off with many parts being similar to what Lydiard is describing in his book. This ranges from Vitamins and there effects on the body to how base nutrients do not exist in foods that are produced for high profit. I wonder if my dietary intake has been supplied with too much grains and carbs and not enough fruits and vegetables. I'll have to start a daily log of what I am eating and analyze it. My normal routine is:

breakfast; yogurt with bran cereal, orange juice, toast with honey, coffee and a banana,
Snack: Apple, bagel and/or nuts, or pretzels
Lunch; leftovers from the night before with a fresh salad (lettuce tomato, carrot, onion, green pepper, croutons, dried cranberries)
Snack; what ever I can find at work, more of the same as the other snack and sometimes I sneak in another coffee or a hot chocolate, or a tea with honey,
Dinner: Ranges from stir fry to spaghetti with sauce and sometimes meat, during the weekend my wife does the cooking and she prepares a large variety of foods. (She is a great cook to)
Another piece of toast or 2 with honey when I get to where I sleep

Let's tally this up:
Meats: 1 or 2,
vegetables: aprox. 4
Fruit: 2 or 3
beans, nuts, seeds: 1 or 4 depending on meals and how many handful of nuts I take
Dairy: 1 or 2
Whole Grains: 4 to 8 depending on the meals.

Doesn't seem too far off. I can see that I should increase the dairy intake by having a couple of glasses of milk. (Ken has already told me this a few times) Add a vegetable or 2 and a couple more fruits and maybe get some seeds. It actually sounds delicious.

Tomorrow I plan to do about 20 minutes on the eliptical without the shins taped up.

No comments: