Monday, April 03, 2006

Lot's of Reading

I am almost done reading the book. It's been difficult to put it down and spend time doing the things that need to get done around the house. Page 105 is the most interesting for me because it describes the first phase in a way that is somewhat different then what I remember from the summary outline that is linked to Mike's web page. I am treating this first phase as a great learning experience so that when I try it again. I will know when to back off.

The best results come when you train to a comfortably tired state, knowing as you finish that the training could have been harder. Keep always in mind that you never run too slowly but you can run too fast.

Many of my first long Sunday runs were with Ken. He is a much faster runner than I am. We would run an out and back on a country gravel road together and he would slowly pick up and pull away from me. I knew that he was faster and that I should not be even trying. I know that I kind of did try, and maybe did not pay enough attention to my own pace. I thought wow I'm not too far behind. By the end of the run, there was no way I could have tried harder. It was only when I started to get sore did I start to slow down on my longer runs.

The other thing that Lydiard states is that "The in-between days are used for runs up to 60 minutes over varying terrain to strengthen the legs and condition generally or for rest. If the legs start to get unduly tired, you must ignore the schedule and lighten the training for a few days until your legs have recovered and you can run again with reasonable comfort.

Sometimes my legs would feel so bad that I thought a good picked up pace would loosen them up. Not so, it undoubtedly made it worse.

I can't wait to get these shins healed and try new knowledge and understanding.

Yesterday's training: More eliptical training 50 minutes,
The calves need to be stretched and massaged, they are feeling a little tight. I wanted to do 90 minutes but backed off because the calves were so tight.

No comments: