Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Doctor, Massage, Physio, Very busy

Monday was a busy day. I took the day off work to get some things done at home, like clean my car, which was neglected for the past 2 years. I also had a doctor's appointment. This was interesting. My Doctor was a runner that also got injured and stopped because of it. He gave me his insight. One of the things he said was that many of the people that continue to run into there later stages of life can do so because they do not get injured. He said their bio-mechanics are naturally perfect for this. He also told me that there are other sports that can be done. Then he remembered how nice the sport of running can be. I can tell he loves it and really wishes he could run. The question I ask myself now is; do I want to be very competitive or run for the long term? For some reason I can't ever picture myself not running when I'm in my old age.

I also had another session of massage therapy on Monday. The calves were still tight, but after the massage they feel much better.

Tuesday I go to work fairly late and had to go to physio therapy as well. I forgot to mention that I have also been getting ultrasound treatments as well. I also was given a couple more exercises to try. One of them was balancing on one foot on a trampelene and rotating the other one from the back around the outside stretching somewhat in front of you and then back. Try it 10 times while keeping your knee over your 2nd toe. Fun.

Wednesday was a 13 hour day at work, with the regular routine of exercises in the morning, massage and ice at night and in the morning.

Thursday was another day of physio therapy. This time I was surprised. While the therapist was pressing hard on my shins she asked do feel any tenderness when I do this. I didn't say anything right away I wanted to make sure, I couldn't feel any pain. So I said no. She said OK, you can try 5k on the weekend, very light taped up. I couldn't believe it. So soon! YES!

Friday was another long day at work.

Wednesday to Friday I biked every were. about 70km in total. (The garmin sure is handy)

Today I ran for about 1/2 an hour with my wife and the kids. The kids were on their bikes. The pace was no faster than 5k/minute. So far there is no heat or tenderness in the shin area. One funny thing; there is a very small hill and my youngest had trouble getting up the hill. We kept on going, thinking that he would catch up, but he got mad and threw his bike down, he said that he thought he would never catch us. I think he really got mad because he thought he would be able to beat us. He seems very competitive, already. We don't push this but he must picking it up from somewhere. :-)

Tomorrow, I'll get on the eliptical for 1 1/2 hours.

No comments: