Friday, April 14, 2006

Not A good Start

It looks like the 2 months of reducing my mileage and finding that my shins were still getting sore, and going for 2 to 3 weeks of physio therapy and the shins are healed. I ran on Wednesday, 5.1 k in about 26 minutes. This felt great. The shins were tapped up to prevent any re-occurring injury. Later on through the day my hamstring go sore and was still sore Yesterday. It was sore when walking in my worn out shoes (at the heel) that I wear for work. If I walked in my bare feet and it felt about 10 times better. What the $%^&!
It could be the change in my stride. I reduced my stride length and increased the rate (from 170 to 180/minute). I would have thought that a longer stride length would have increased the risk of hurting the hamstring, but it appears to be the speed for me. I am hoping that it is just not used to it. Work has still been keeping me very busy!
As far as my diet is concerned, I never even read one more page out of the book. However, I did buy some milk, more vegetables and trail mix. It is difficult to find seeds that sell without shells that you have to spit out.
I think I should list my Physio treatment exercises:
  • 4 foot movements using theraband for resistance (down and in with a curl, down and out, up in/out)
  • butt raises with the legs strapped so that the knees goes over the feet (work the gluts)
  • balance with one leg on the trampelene and move the foot from the rear around the outside to front and then back through to the starting position and repeat
  • another glut exercise while lying on your side, raise the leg behind you and kind of up from the floor, keeping your hip forward, trying to use ur glut and not the hamstring
  • calf raises with a twist, stand on a step and quickly move up and then slowly (10sec) move down until the heel is below the step
  • working the abductors, stand in front of a step, move your leg straight back, then pull the leg forward and turn your leg at the inner thigh and tap the edge of the step. You can bend your knee before the tap.
  • wall squat, using a big ball against the wall and a small ball between the knees, start standing straight up, then roll down into the squatting position, hold for 10 seconds and then straighten
I try to do 2 sets of 10 to 15 for all exercises. Then massage and ice. There has not been any pain along the shin bones when pressure is applied for about 2 weeks.

Happy Easter.

Training since last entry has been pretty crappy: 20 minutes on eliptical on Monday and 20 minutes of running on Wednesday.

No comments: