Monday, March 27, 2006

X-training affects stride rate?

This morning the shins did not hurt. I wanted to go for a run on the trail, but thought I should get on the eliptical trainer to make sure that my injuries do not return. While I was on the boring thing, I realized that my revolution count was at 72/minute. This would translate into a stride rate of 144 if I were running. This is very slow. Ken and I have read at a number of different sites that stride rate of elite runners is generally around 180/minute. If it is below this, it is also a sign of overstriding. The podiatrist that I visited about a month ago told me that orthotics will not help my shin splints and that I am overstriding. He has looked at all of my shoes and watched me walk. He picked up on the overstriding during my very first visit, but I really didn't catch on to it. I did not think I was overstriding. He asked me to make a video, put it on a CD and send it to him. I looked at the video in awe before dropping it off. Big time heal striker. The wear on the shoes clearly show this!

In the last 2 weeks I have been counting my stride rate on all of my runs. I increase the rate if I notice it dropping, but keeping my pace to reflect the workout. This means that my stride length must decrease. To do this I pull my foot back just a bit before it contacts the ground, if I feel it land closer to my body then I try to stick with that flow. It's easier on the runs, but impossible on the eliptical. I used to do a lot of eliptical training when I was at the Gym and I wonder if this "rate" has been "wired" into my system and now I have to kick it out?

No comments: