Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Is a little inflammation too much?

What is the definition of an injury? The dictionary says "that which causes harm or damage."

I had an appointment with a physio therapist today. A very nice lady, one who not only gives advice, but pays attention to see that I am understanding her points. I gave her my running history. She picked up on the fact that I have always had shin splints and that they have always gotten worse when I try to increase my mileage. It was shocked when she told me that I should really stop running even with minor inflammation at the shins. She used a word that I was wondering about myself; "chronic": "continuing a long time or recurring; said of a disease."

I take this to mean the following: If I continue along the same path, I will always get hurt. This is were I have a little trouble. I have always been getting sore shins and yet I continue to improve or does it just mean that I am able to withstand more pain? Am I just setting myself up for a big fall if I continue running with a little pain trying to get better?

There were a number of other tidbits of information:
- better or different exercises to strengthen weak muscles on the lower leg and thigh areas, than what I have been doing, geared towards reducing injuries
- better massage techniques to dig in deep to the effected areas
- advice to continue with the icing every day, even if I feel no pain

I have a feeling I will never be able to achieve my goal if I don't heal the injury and then keep it from re-occurring (or heal it completely). If that means I have to run 10k/week in the next week or 2 or more, then so be it. I will give it a try. This means pool running, elliptical trainer, and biking on the non running days.

My goal is to complete a Marathon in less than 3:10:00 before I turn 35.

Todays training very slow 5.4km in 28 something minutes.

No comments: