Monday, July 10, 2006

Race #2 - Signed Up

This week has been working out really well. The strides have done wonders to bring something more exciting than just easy running. The break down went like this:

S: 10.5km in 56:36, (156BPM) at 5:23/km South Huron Trail
M: Off
T: 8.32 in 44:55, at 5:23/km (stides) Shouth Huron Trail
W: 5.8 in 29:52, 5.08/km South Huron Trail
T: aprox 8.75 in 45:33, 5:12/km, Pinery trails
F: off
S: 8.76 44:55, with 3km in 14:02, 4:40/km

Total: 42.13km in 3:41:51 5:15/km

Saturday was a little different than planned, but it was enjoyable. The 3km was done on a local dirt track and was suppose to be done at my estimated marathon pace from the VDOT tables, with a VDOT of 51. This was no where near that. This is because the garmin sucks on the track, somehow it was measuring the track as being 430m instead of 404 or so. The thing was telling me that my pace was faster than what it really was. The idea of the M pace is to give me a little taste of running at a high aerobic level without doing too much of it. The 4:40 pace increased my breathing but I could have kept going and going. The idea came from Ken who received an e-mail from Jack Daniels about phase 4, but we applied it here as well.

I will repeat the same for next week, even though it has started off a little differently. Yesterday Ken and I went to a track where he wanted to do a time trial. He ran with me for a warmup, and then I kept running while he did some stretching. After he was finished with his strides, I hopped the fence to time his run. I would be happy with the results, but it was not a PB for him, which he had hoped to do becuase he expected to be peaking right now. His time for the 5000m was 17:14 (3:27/km). I ran with him for a lap, about 3/4 of the way through, to help encourage him to pick up the pace. That was cool! Race pace for a short distance, ahhh.

Yesterday morning, I signed up for a 5km race in London that I ran last year in 20:31. It is an evening run at 7:10 on the 21st of July. The day after our 10th Wedding anniversary. It should be fun.

No comments: