Sunday, July 16, 2006

Body Fat.. too high?

During the past few months I have gone from 152/154 lbs in weight up to 162/164 lbs. I think that it has been all body fat. Ken has a scale that measures body fat. This scale is programmable to keep information for a number of people, for me he set it to being athletic. It measured a reading of 13.4%. Ken has a reading around 10%. His scale read my weight as 163.8 lbs. Wowa. The Performance Nutrition for Runners book by Matt Fitzgerald states that this range is 6 to 13% for athletes. The book also states that if you are gaining weight and injury prone, then you could be eating too many carbs and not enough proteins. I have been trying to cut out (or back) on the nasty little habits like easting cakes, cookies, candy, bagels, toast (whole wheat), wine (yikes) and eating more fruits. I have been setting out 5 fruits/day. I have also been eating more beans within soups as well as anything with more protein in general.

This weeks running:
S: around 11k at 5:47/k pace, London
M:off
T: 8.92k at 5:11/k pace, Don River Trail
W: 10.5k at 5:35/k pace, Roads and Sidewalks with the RR
T: 6k at 5:13/k, Grass
F: Off
S: 8.2k in 40:51, 2.6k in 11:27, at 4:24/k pace track

It is that time to increase my distance to 51km/week, but I also registered for a race. The plan also called for some R pace stuff, which is anaerobic workouts. For me that would be now more than about 86 seconds around a 400m on the track. I was thinking of leaving this until the 3rd week of running at this new distance of 51km/week. The race is more than enough of workout that will put extra stress on me.

I changed my mind after talking to Ken though, he had a great suggestion. Wait a week too increase my distance and do a 3k marathon pace run on Tuesday and finish off with 2x200m R pace (no faster than 42 seconds). I think that this will provide me with a reasonable test of the legs before the race and kind of wake up my speed. I haven't run fast since March. I spoke to Ken on my long run which I had already extended to be 25% of the increase mileage.

The plan is as follows:
S: 13km in aprox 78 minutes
M: off
T: 8km in aprox 58 minutes
W:6km in aprox 37 minutes with strides
T: off
F: 5k race, 4k warmup and cool down
S: 5

42k in total.

No comments: