Monday, July 30, 2007

Quarter Marathon Race ...

The only "quarter marathon" (10.549km) in Canada. I ran in this race and can see some improvement on my time. My average pace was 4:04. Considering the heat and how poorly my race result was in Waterloo, it is fairly good. The volunteers for this one did a really good job! The draw was done ahead of time and peoples numbers were posted on the board for them to come and get them. The amount food was good considering there was only 85 people that were registered online and over 370 ran in the race. The race was an out only race. It made it interesting. I thought that I was back at about 10th or 12th and ended up in 5th.
One of the differences I have seen here in the last 2 races is how people warm-up/cool down. The people that ran in the races in London would go for a short run and then stretches and strides. I did not see people go for a short jog before the run. Maybe I went off the wrong way or something. I did not even see people go for a cool down. Anyway here is the map of were the run was held:
One of the things I have been trying to do is go out easy/slower than my goal pace. In attempts to increase my overall pace for the rest of the race. I felt like I was going slower, but my first kilometer was 3:50. Here is a low down of the paces for the rest of the race:
34:52,3:53,3:56,4:00,4:16,4:05,4:27,4:19,4:08,1:56,

A lot faster for the first 5k then the second. A fairly large hill came around 8th km. I was passing people and I don't think anyone passed me. I hope that I can keep that faster pace, below the 3:56/km for the South Huron race in 2 weeks.

No comments: