Monday, June 05, 2006

Let's Try Again

All I have been able to think about this weekend is running. I practically read the "Daniel's Running Formula" over the weekend. There are alot of similarities between Lydiard and Daniels and there are also a lot differences. You can go to letsrun.com, and read the thread on this or get the books and read them. I learnt more about the Daniel's base building by reading his book than from the thread. I think that if I follow Daniel's Formula I will be able to run fairly close to my potential and prevent injuries.
I went to see a Podiatrist in London today. We discussed a number of issues:
- Overstriding, I am well on my way to correcting this with regards to controlling my cadence on easy/long runs.
- The Gel Empires, for me, are great for faster runs, but not the slower ones. They are too flexible and I require more stability. The shin splints are caused by over pronating on runs were I am heel striking. However, during races and tempo runs, he suggests, and I agree, that I am landing at the mid to fore foot. Therefore, the orthotics would not help. He does not yet want to put me into Orthotics.
- my calf muscles are much stronger than my shin muscles and I should work on strengthening those muscles. He gave me a number of exercises, they are different than what I have been doing and I think they will focus more on fixing the cause rather than just healing the injury.
- He pressed the anterial area of the shin, between the tibia and fibia? It stung like crazy. At first, I don't think that he thought it was a big deal. "There are a lot of fast runners that have the same problem." I don't think that I gave it enough time to heal. He suggested I see a massage therapist and get a "ralphing" massage. He had a huge smile on his face and said it will hurt! I have an appointment to get this done on Friday. It will take an hour! ouch.
- I will be off for 2 weeks, and then I will start with short runs, very short.

Even though the outcome of today's meeting is not what I expected, I feel much more confident that I have a plan in place to correct the causes. If this doesn't work, I am certain that I will get some orthotics.

Could I keep running with the shins in the current shape they are in? Probably. Would it come back to haunt me in 6 to 8 months when I really start running harder? Definitely!

No comments: