Tuesday, January 27, 2009

1st indoor track race - 3000m

I was looking for a short race 5k or so that I could do over the winter, but didn't really want to do a race in the cold and possibly be snowed out. So I hooked up Ontario Masters Athletics and registered for my very first ever indoor track race.

I looked at the registration on Saturday and thought that I would be starting in 5th, based on the estimated and posted times. When I started out they put me at 7th or 8th way at the outside lane of the track. I was a little surprised and thought no problem I'll just go at my pace and see how it goes. Once I saw everyone go around the first bend I started to think wow they are moving fast, I must be going slow here. I picked it up and passed about 3 on the first straight away, 37 seconds in the 200m. Then passed a one or two more on the next laps. One was on the inside on the straight away and one that I can remember on the bend. I thought that there was only one person that was estimating a sub 10:00. I wanted to push my self and see if I could win or get at least 2nd. Around 1.5k I was breathing really hard and was starting to feel my form drop. I wanted to quit but held on and just tried to keep form and push hard. I checked my watch at the start/finish after pressing the lap button. I was still at 42 seconds a lap (pace for goal of 10:30). Three laps to go and puked just a bit, but sucked it back and just kept motoring. 1 lap to go and the clock was around 9 something. I just went as hard as I could on the last straight away and concentrated on extending my legs.

3:15, 3:28, 3:31 for a 10:14. I am happy with that!

I checked the entry list later when I got home and there were more that had entered the race. Everyone else in my heat except 1 had estimated a faster time than I. I placed 5th overall.

It was a blast and I can't wait until the fall. I think I want to concentrate on the shorter races for a bit after Boston.

No comments: