Sunday, August 06, 2006

Right Foot, "I'll fix that"

In the past year I have seen a podiatrist often, my family doctor, a sports medicine doctor and a massage therapist, all for running. Everyone of them has asked "do I feel more pain on shin then the other". After a couple of days there is usually the same amount of pain and inflammation in the shins. However, when the problem was there and when I ran, there is usually a little more pulling in the right shin. Also, the therapists have noticed that when I walk my right leg is a little awkward or different. I have noticed that when I run, the right foot seems to land a little harder. Also, my right hamstring usually acts up before the left one. After the cast was taken, Robert noticed that the big toe of my right metatarisal, in the neutral position, is quite high. High enough that he could fit a pen under it and probably a second one. The left was only a couple of mm higher. That part will be fixed. They should be in 2 weeks from Tuesday. Oh ya, he also the first one to mention getting a compartment syndrome test done. If the orthotics don't work that will be my next avenue.

something unexpected did happen this week. I was able to finish my plan without any pain in the shins. The MSM and the eggs right after my run seem to be doing the job or it could be the slower running. It could also be, as I think Lydiard has said "it's everything".

Here are the results from last week:
S: 9.87k in 53:30, 5:25/km chip trail
M: 9.19k in 51:02, 5:33/km chip trail
T: off (leg exercises and stretching twice)
W: 13k in 1:12, 5:31/km pavement and 1k of grass (very hot and humid)
T: 8.98k in 48:40, 5:25/km pavement (very hot and humid)
F: off
S: 10.48k in 53:58, 5:09/km chip trail, includes a 3k marathon pace in 14:03

Total of 51.53km in 4 hours and 40 minutes

I felt so good yesterday that I decided to pick up the pace and do an M pace or higher aerobic workout. I used the 4th, 3rd and 2nd k markings of the race on the trail. I found it difficult to lock on to the pace with splits of: 4:50, 4:33, and 4:40. I started to wonder about a marathon, and thought man those guys that run the marathons have to be well disciplined to not get caught up in to the action and run at the level were you are exerting yourself just tiny bit but not too much. With the 5 and 10k races, I find that you go out at a certain pace that is hard, and it is just below your max and kind of hold on. Maybe it was just the day and I could not pace it right, I don't know. But I can't imagine running a marathon with such fluctuations. What type of runner am I? I have been asking myself that question ever since Robert asked me that last week.

This weeks plan:
S: 9k easy
M: 11k easy with some strides
T: off
W: 13k easy
T: 9k easy with some strides
F: off
S: 9k easy

No comments: